Mary Lou O’Kennedy
Mary Lou O’Kennedy is founder and director of Claritas CCL Ltd. She is an experienced mediator and conflict resolution specialists. She is an accredited Civil and Commercial Mediator and Family Mediator from FriaryLaw/ADR (UK), a certified Community and Workplace Mediator from Athena Mediation and a Practitioner Member of the Mediators Institute of Ireland. Mary Lou has also trained in Mediation Supervision with PMR UK (NOCN) and in the use of Private Caucusing with CEDR. She is a consultant of the Centre of Conflict Dynamics at Eckerd College, Florida and is a CINERGY™ certified conflict management coach and trainer. Her primary degree in Social Science was awarded by UCD and her Masters in Social Work by the University of Pittsburgh, USA.
Over the past twenty years Mary Lou has managed and been a director/member of numerous private and non profit companies. Her early management experience was in the Surveys Unit of the Economic and Social Research Institute, then as CEO of County Wexford Partnership Ltd for 11 years and then as Managing Director of Tunstall Emergency Response Ltd for a further 5 years.
As well as being a director in a number of private companies, Mary Lou has held numerous directorships of non profit companies. She was Chairperson of Feachtas Ealaion Teoranta (St Michael’s Theatre Management Company, New Ross) for 15 years and was active with other committees, fora and groups concerned with community, social and employment services at local, regional and national level. More recently she has served on the Council of the MII and as Chairperson of its Education Committee from 2009 to 2011. She is a member of the Irish Commercial Mediation Association.
Since 2006 Mary Lou has combined her vast experience with her conflict resolution expertise delivering mediation, one-on-one coaching and training to address disputes in the following areas:
– Family Business Disputes: Succession issues, performance management, shareholdings and decision making and interpersonal disputes
– Commercial Disputes: Disputes between directors and shareholders, between shareholders, business to business contracts
– Employment Disputes: Allegations of bullying, performance management, interpersonal conflict, reporting relationships, inappropriate behaviour
– Community Disputes: Disputes between voluntary directors and paid staff, between voluntary committees, neighbours in dispute over property/boundaries and/or lifestyle issues
– Family Disputes: Inheritance disputes, sibling rivalry, separating couples and marital breakdown
Mary Lou is a contributing author of a book on Co-mediation titled ‘Co-mediation: A Psychological Paired Approach to Mediation’ which she wrote with the colleague and associate Phil O’Hehir with whom she operated a successful co-mediation practice, Amicus Mediation Ltd.